Monday, August 25, 2008

Reading!



I have been such a slacker in a number of ways this summer, updating the blog, keeping up with cleaning house, and getting myself organized for going back to school (four days now!), but most disappointingly I have been seriously slacking in my reading for the entire summer.
This is a huge shame because those hazy humid days of bad hair and sticky thighs always allow me to lock myself in my air conditioned bedroom and snuggle up with some good reading. But this summer I have been too focused on either working or losing my mind to daytime television (my guiltiest of all pleasures). Luckily, I have a boyfriend who has his own personal library and allows me to take as many books as I like. So in these last remaining days of Summer I have been trying to catch up on all the reading I have allowed to escape me. However, there will be absolutely no way I can finish up my reading list which includes:

1. Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov (a library book that I need to finish by friday)
2. Ariel by Sylvia Plath (I'm not usually a big poetry advocate but Sylvia Plath's writing is so beautifully tragic it's hard to ignore... also a library book)
3. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (I bought then when Jill and I went thrifting during my trip to Athens, a complete steal at 35 cents)
4. Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee (One of Alex's books, a play based on the Scope's Monkey Trial, I'm not exactly that keen on reading plays)
5. Stranger Than Fiction by Chuck Palahniuk (I never finished Fight Club in the Spring, blame my Sociology class)
6. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (a book I bought Spring quarter Freshman year and have yet to finish, but was around to entertain me during the most beautiful of Spring mornings after my BIOS 103 class. Ms. McCullers and I shared a few good moments in Emerti Park)
7. Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald (I've had this one for a long time, it's the time to read it!)
8. We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates (After reading Where Have you Been? Where Are You Going? in English 201, I have always wanted to read more of Oates' stuff. It's about violence and what not. big surprise)
9. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote (a lender from Alex)
10. Euthyphro, Crito, Apology, & Symposium by Plato (an obvious borrowed book from Alex)
11. Islam (another lender from Alex)
12. Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
13. Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse
14. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
15. The Plague and The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus (Existentialism! WOO!)
16. Lucky by Alice Sebold (I loved The Lovely Bones, here is another book that will freak me out so much that I won't be able to leave my house)
17. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (I began it when I was in Australia but never finished

This fall will be the perfect opportunity to lounge by the Hocking River and tackle some of these books.


1 comment:

Jillian Mapes said...

#2, #5, #7, #8, #13 are all on the list of books I'd like to read eventually. You should tell me how they are when you're done.

Good entry! Love the pic. :)